Dragon Cover Remakes

I’ve been playing around with drawing Dragon covers.

4 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

Decided to redo a Jennell Jaquays cover in honor of her passing. As a Spelljammer fan I picked a cover that I previously avoided because I felt it was too complex. I used her original sketch over the actual cover because I felt it was more interesting.

2 Likes

I decided to do a video of the first image I posted. Let me know if you would like more or what I could do differently. I already have another in the works that zooms in to different sections as they are being colored. If you don’t like them and feel it is a waste of time, you can let me know as well.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Another video. This is for the second image I posted.

2 Likes

Nice, there was a Reaper miniatures set based upon that painting.

1 Like

Very cool. Did not know that.

1 Like

Original by Clyde Caldwell

2 Likes

Hope about something a little different.

Original by Phil Foglio

2 Likes

Original by Denis Beauvais

2 Likes

Another Dragon. Not liking this one as much.

Original by Robin Wood

3 Likes

I was friends with Robin Wood.

Hopefully she wouldn’t be too upset with my less skilled version of her Dragon cover. I haven’t looked up too much about the artists who covers I’ve done. Sorry to see that she had to stop painting due to fibromyalgia and died in 2021 from cancer.

Actually I wanted to ask, should I include the original artist information with the post. I originally assumed people would just look it up. Over time I kinda feel like I’m not properly crediting them. I’ve been working on a web page that lists all the images and which Dragon magazine it is from. I wonder if that again should credit the original artist. I was thinking you could click on the image and maybe give a page with additional information but again feel that kinda hides the credit of the artist.

2 Likes

I think you should.

1 Like

Original by John Blumen

(I add credit where I could to old posts.)

3 Likes

I decided to post one of my less successful covers. Issue 9 didn’t have much to work with. I decided to add a mushroom forest from the Purple Planet. I don’t think it worked. It needs to be closer with the image of the person and more dense to convey the feel of a forest.

Original by Bill Hannon.

3 Likes

This cover took place in the sea. I felt the ship belonged in space. I like Spelljammer.

Original by Dean Morrissey

2 Likes