Conversation with an AI

I was given the opportunity to have a conversation with an AI. ChatGPT

I wanted my conversation with it to be unbiased toward a machine, as natural as I could make it on my end. So, I pasted in the text from a post I made here earlier this week. Dealing with a spotlight hog

The AI gave me some of the same advise as players here at Pend & Paper Games. The response from the AI was instant after every post I made, and it was very on point.

The following dialog ensued.

Me:

Nayo is a spotlight hog in one of our games (5e & online). At first I thought Nayo designed his characters for maximum operability, but that’s only a minor part of it.

The AI:

It’s not uncommon for players to want to be the center of attention in a game, especially if they have a character they’re particularly proud of or invested in. However, it’s important to remember that tabletop roleplaying games are a group activity, and everyone should have a chance to contribute and have their moment in the spotlight. If Nayo is consistently taking over the game and not allowing others to participate, it may be worth talking to them about it outside of the game to find a solution that works for everyone. It’s also a good idea to have a clear set of ground rules for the game and to enforce them evenly to ensure that everyone is able to have a fair and enjoyable experience.

Me:

The DM doesn’t seem to have a problem with Nayo’s behavior, often rewarding actions that leave the rest of us way behind.

The AI:

It’s the responsibility of the game master (GM) or dungeon master (DM) to ensure that the game is fair and enjoyable for all players. If the DM is consistently rewarding actions that leave the other players behind, it could be because they are not aware of the impact it is having on the game. In this case, it might be worth talking to the DM privately to let them know how you are feeling and to discuss possible solutions. It’s important to approach the conversation in a constructive and non-confrontational way, as the goal is to find a solution that works for everyone.

Me:

Calling out this behavior to both Nayo and the GM hasn’t seemed to curb the behavior. The only thing that provides a respite is when Nayo doesn’t show up or has technical difficulties himself. Since I attend the game for entertainment and great company, I weigh my options and hope for the best.

The AI:

If talking to Nayo and the DM hasn’t helped to improve the situation, it may be worth considering other options. One approach could be to try to find ways to involve the other players more in the game. This could include asking for their input and ideas during gameplay, encouraging them to take on leadership roles, and making sure that everyone has an equal chance to contribute.

Another option is to consider bringing in a new GM or DM who is better able to manage the game and ensure that everyone is able to have a fun and engaging experience. If that’s not possible, you could also consider starting a new game with a different group of players.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to make sure that you are having fun and enjoying yourself while playing the game. If the current situation is not working for you, it’s okay to explore other options and make changes as needed.

Me:

Since it’s not 100% annoying, I masochistically stick around to endure the periodic trainwrecks of boredom. Still, I think it’s time for a different approach.

The AI:

If you’re not enjoying the game and it’s causing you stress or frustration, it may be time to consider making some changes. It’s important to remember that tabletop roleplaying games are supposed to be fun and enjoyable, and there’s no shame in wanting to have a good time.

One option could be to try to find ways to involve the other players more in the game, as mentioned earlier. This could include asking for their input and ideas during gameplay, encouraging them to take on leadership roles, and making sure that everyone has an equal chance to contribute.

Another option is to talk to Nayo and the DM again, but this time approach the conversation from a different angle. Instead of focusing on Nayo’s behavior, try to find common ground and discuss ways to make the game more enjoyable for everyone. This could include brainstorming new ideas for gameplay, setting ground rules for how the game will be run, and finding ways to ensure that everyone is able to have a good time.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to do what feels right for you. If you don’t feel like the current game is meeting your needs, it’s okay to explore other options and make changes as needed.

If you thought calculators were bad for learning math, this calculator for words will blow your mind.

However, this AI did not ask questions to clarify details. It is not psychic (and implied as much). It is not self-aware and was unable to learn, induce or deduce during our subsequent conversations, which is a good thing considering what it could learn from general public. Also, metaphors tripped it up. Apparently, they went over its head too fast. This might limit it’s ability to GM a game. But otherwise was quite interesting.

A big upgrade from Eliza.

I remember playing around with the Eliza program as a kid.

You do realize you are dating us.

|<.<|

|>.>|

Whaaaaaaaaat?

You just claimed knowledge of an ANCIENT computer program, so did I.

"My name is Tesral, and I have used a VIC 20.

Lol, I not only had a Vic20, my Dad modded it to accept up to 4 cartridges at once.

And I my first exposure to actually playing D&D was via the game Nemesis and Dungeon Master on a CP/M operating system Actrix computer. (Which I still have and can play even today because my Dad managed to restore the data off of the old floppies somehow!)

I have one of the four at once jobs too, and a 28 k expansion for the memory, but you could not use both at once.

My main use of the computer was for writing. It took the Amiga 500 to do that seriously. A real printer and not limited to 40 column.

It still is my main use, it just looks better.