Zorro RPG -- GKG and West End Games

I picked this up on a whim a couple weeks ago, partly for the subject and partly for the rule system. Got it on Amazon for $49.99 (showing limited availability with more on the way) and $19.99 as a pdf on Drive Thru as of 8/4/2024.
The book starts with a media history of Zorro across print, film, stage, toys, and video games. Next is the obligatory introduction to RPG’s and the basics of the D6 System. Following that is character creation, covering 2 whole pages (character templates to follow later on). One highlight is the Defense Number (think AC in other games). One is for Dodge and one is for Parry. You multiply your Perception/Agility D6 score by 5 to get your score for each (so an attribute score of 3D times 5 would be 15).
Chapter 3 focuses on playing the game and general rules. It also goes more into attributes and skills and Difficulty Numbers (which range from Very Easy [5] to Very Difficult [30]). As per usual with the system, the more D6s you have to roll, the better (and more difficult things) you can do. Each attribute includes 4 skills (which can be added to with GM approval), and attributes include: Agility, Knowledge, and Charm.
The GM section is next. A standout item in this section is that in addition to Hero Points (which act as XP and can be used to better attributes and skills) is Suspicion Points. In the game you play as a member of Zorro’s Legion which is your secret identity. At other points during play, you play as your alter ego, which is one of the character templates mentioned a little further on. Each of your identities will likely have different outlooks (a la Clark Kent/Superman or Bruce Wayne/Batman) so that most won’t tie the two “people” together. However when the public identity acts different than “normal” or more like their secret persona, they get a suspicion point. A 2D6 roll that is lower than how many suspicion points the character has exposes them. There are, of course, a couple ways to reduce the suspicion points and keep everything a secret.
Equipment and Bestiary Chapters are next, allowing a variety of weapons and creatures. Following that is the chapter with character templates. There are 15 in total, including: Brash Soldado, Sniveling Dona/Don, Nervous Bandit, and Scheming Scholar. They include starting attribute die codes, equipment, and even suggested skills, though the character can be customized however the player chooses.
Enemy Combatants is the next chapter and is made up of different NPCs to include in your sessions. The next 2 chapters “The World of Zorro” and “Adventures in Alta California” flesh out the setting and include several adventure seeds which are broken down into episodes. The next chapter introduces the more important NPCs of the world, such as: Don Alejandro de la Vega, Diego de la Vega, Non Ignacio Torres, and others. The Chapter Adventures Elsewhere flesh out New Spain and Baja California, and more adventure seeds. There is a solo adventure so you can play as Zorro and familiarize yourself with the system.
Lastly, there are 2 full length adventures included: The Black Widow and Steam Train Out of Hell. They are put together in a slightly loose fashion with broader strokes, but give enough to cover most situations while keeping things linear.
My thoughts on the game is it’s a good game if you want something a little more serialistic and light-hearted, while still being able to stay a little serious with the story. It would be in rotation for me as more of a “Let’s take a session or two break from what we’ve been running and play something different.” With all the adventure ideas in the book, it would be easy to sit down and play fairly quickly.

1 Like

Isn’t a steam train of any kind more than a little anachronistic?

1 Like

Best Sword fight, the Mark of Zorro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_hlyLvlqy8

1 Like

Am personally a little light on my Zorro Literature outside of the game. And that’s a me thing. Never hated Zorro, but never got much into him. Like I said, the game was a bit of a whim. Though I do remember seeing part of the clip on a Star Wars related documentary.

I’m old enough that Zorro was part of my weekly afternoon TV. That followed by the Saturday morning animated offering.

The modern movie tossed most of that under the stage coach. Zorro distilled is an Alto California Batman. Fighter for justice by night, rich dilettante by day. Timed in a early 1700s before there was a United States.

1 Like

So, “The Black Fox” really exists!!! (Face to Face or Online?)

1 Like

Zorro
Gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop…

1 Like

If I could get a couple players, it would be either way, if a game was wanted. But, am in Illinois, and not sure where you are, or where others would be. :wink:

I’m in Northfield, Mass (where MA, NH, & VT state lines meet) so I can join if it is Online <> AND <> not on Sunday afternoon/evening (my Shadowrun Game runs from 3pm to 7pm or 8pm every Sunday)

And yes, if either of you are interested in playing more than one game a week, I do still have spots open.

1 Like

I think I was a rerun watcher, but Zorro was likewise a part of the routine for me, along with the Lone Ranger.

1 Like