Underrepresented Genres

Or Undercooked

What would you like to see in an RPG setting that hasn’t been explored much or needs a fresh perspective?

1 Like

I need to think about that.

I can’t think of a genre as I understand them that I’d say was underrepresented. I might be splitting hairs, though. I do that. But I imagine there’s as few subgenres and hybrids still in need of representation.

I like the old west as a genre, and I love to see the hybrids with that. Deadlands bring Horror into the west. Owl Hoot Trail brings fantasy into the west. The new “Inevitable” even brings Arthurian tales into the west. What about… A hard boiled western? Or a spy western like the old Wild Wild West series?

2 Likes

Hard boiled old west is a good choice. Modern police, RPG, that might be too close to home.

Is there an Ancient Rome game? Again of the hard boiled kind, no magic.
How about Ancient Greece? With or without the mythical parts. Heck a pan-mediterranean. Let everyone play.

1 Like

An ‘Ancient Greece’ one of a sort: Swords of Meropis and the Wretched Blood of the Undying Witchgod

Tiny Gunslingers covers the Spaghetti Western end of things. Would be, I think, relatively easy to add some flair to it.

But can you get Ennio Morricone to write your gaming music? :grinning:

1 Like

Sadly, not for the last 3½ years.

1 Like

Death really impacts your work flow.

1 Like

Let me get the spirit board.

Ghost investigator. Not someone that investigates ghosts, but someone that investigates for them. Help them, solve the issues that keep them from moving on.

1 Like

My brother is working on a setting inspired by the Arabian Nights boardgame, basically the PCs will be merchanting around the Indian Ocean (Africa to Indonesia), around 780AD, when the Baghdad Caliphate was top dog, with suitable magical elements added in. Trade and travel was wide enough that characters from Scandinavia to Japan could reasonably take part.

Sounds interesting. Don’t get carried off by a Roc.

I read The Seven Voyages of Sinbad many years ago. From what we know now anyone but Americans. You could play Samurai to an Englishman.

(Those Byzantines were the worse, noses stuck up and so forth.)

Hinterwelt did Roma Imperious. Haven’t looked at my copy in a few, but I still have it.

Mazes & Minotaurs

Bloody-Handed Name of Bronze

Babylon On Which Fame and Jubilation Are Bestowed

Mythic Babylon

Jackals

Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk

Blood & Bronze

Masters of Damavand

The Nightmares Underneath

Warlords of Alexander, Zenobia, 43AD

2e AD&D had HR6 Age of Heroes & HR5 The Glory of Rome

Settings based on mythology and fantasy of the East, from their point of view and well translated, as opposed to written by a westerner (regardless of intention or education).