Thoughts?

Yes, the edition wars is a war that never ends. For those that DO like BECMI, and do like videos about BECMI, I highly recommend The Dungeon Minister on YouTube. He’s got a great ongoing video series about his BECMI campaign that is very entertaining to watch. So much so, in fact, that I created my own YouTube video series (under the “FateMaster Cesium” moniker) modeled after his, in which I discuss my FATE Core urban arcana / Dresden Files kid-detectives campaign. FATE Core is another system, like Savage Worlds, that is just great for any genre, including sword & sorcery.

2 Likes

As a gamer that goes back to 1st ed. D&D and has played a vast multitude of games & systems, including all versions of D&D, I found that I hated 4e.
As you said, no need to explain it, but compared to everything else I had played and experienced, I just did not like it. It was not for me
With that said, I have always tried to keep a philosophy similar to Lincoln. {You can please some of the gamers all of the time, and all of the gamers some of the time, but never all of the gamers, all of the time} I understand not everyone will like every system.
But I believe in the case of 4e, it was a departure far enough away from its predecessors, that it seems like a large swath of gamers could not jive with it, and ended up hating it.
Where I’m trying to go with all of this is, I realize why there was such a backlash to 4e, especially after 3.e., and support ppl’s right to voice their protest. However, I don’t feel that anyone has the right to shout down others if they do happen to like whatever it is that they don’t.
It seems like it is becoming more & more the case where ppl protesting against the game start to alter their protest such that they start to include ppl who support the item they are protesting into the protest. I often think social media factors into the equation in a large way.

Now don’t get me wrong, if asked about the topic I would have no issue constructively sharing my thoughts on the matter. However, I feel that there is already an excess of negativity floating around in the world, and I see no reason to go around shouting into the void and adding to it.
If you like 4e, I’m glad you have found something that works for you. I will never want to join you when you play it, but that is no reason that we cannot be friends. Know what I mean.?

2 Likes

You ain’t just whistling Dixie brother.

2 Likes

Bought the D&D 5e starter set. Put in 2 years with a group and stopped the rules are a quagmire. Had 2 years of Edge of the Empire and that burned out with the end of the campaign. Introduced to a new group wanting D&D 5e, so I joined in. After three years I quit. I was only playing for the enjoyment of being with the group. The rules from a different respective was not any better. 20 year olds vs. 40+ year olds with families, children, etc. To me 5e is just a “every player is a micro-game” and they have to have books for every little thing and software to make it functional. As opposed to AD&D rules, typically a combat had the person reference 3 different tables, done.
However, I still appreciate the TFT rules. A newbie with a dagger can take out the strongest character that has 20+ levels of experience in one stab! Keeps you on your toes, there are NO TANKS!

1 Like

I just found 5e didn’t mesh with my 1st and 2nd edition mindset. I’d skipped 3, 3.5, and 4th altogether as I’d switched gears to miniature wargaming during that time. Picking up 5th edition the numbers just felt wrong, too big. So I went back and have shifted between 1st and 2nd edition as I’m just comfortable with it. I know most of the balancing act innately from reading those books endlessly as a teenager.
It’s just familiarity and ease of play for me, not that older rules are somehow better.

My oldest son and I went back and beat the stuffing out of the old Avalon Hill Afika Korps game during lockdown. It’s not a bad game but the 40-50 years of wargame design to come after it shows the weaknesses in that early design. I wouldn’t fault somebody for exclusively playing it though for North African WWII gaming.

2 Likes

On the plus side, all the old books we all own are going to fetch a pretty penny on the second hand market soon! At least until the next best thing shows up.

2 Likes

I’ve said before, just because there is something new does not make the print fall off the old pages. That technology has yet to be perfected.

3 Likes