Psychic Kids - Wet Ink Games (The Review)

This has been a long time coming. Estimated delivery of the Kickstarter was June 2023, and I finally received my copy on 4/19/24. While it may be a bit of a flag to someone considering whether or not to back a Kickstarter, this kind of delay isn’t very normal. The communication during the wait period was phenomenal, and Wet Ink controlled what they could, and went with the flow on the stuff they couldn’t. Situations come up, it’s life, and things are a little stranger now than a couple years ago. So I would say if you’re on the fence about backing on Kickstarter, do it. The vast majority of the games I’ve backed have arrived on time and without issues.
As of 4/20/24 on Drive-Thru, only the pdf was showing available at a sale price of $8, and regular of $10. During the Kickstarter, I did the $50 level, which got a pdf and physical copy of the book, dice, and a deck of cards. Looking at the Wet Ink website, it doesn’t look like the dice or cards are for sale.
The game does utilize the +ONE (plus 1) system, which allows you to amass a dice pool of d6, and 5 or 6 is a success. A deck of cards is needed as well (with jokers) for various situations throughout the game (needing a deck of cards is part and parcel with the +ONE system). What the deck is used for varies from game to game in the system, but seems to work well. After the obligatory “Welcome to RPGs” and general rules, we get the explanation for how to use the deck of cards in the game. For this game, you try to guess the card that you are going to be dealt (when the situation arises) and how close/far you were in guessing decides how well or limited your psychic powers are in the scenario. A big thing in the book, and it’s mentioned multiple times, is you are playing a younger character (they throw out the age range of 8-11, though they say a little older works), and therefore there is no death, though you may end up at the business end of a stun gun, or a rock, or a tackle. Their thought is this is sort of like Saturday Morning Cartoons.
As you can probably guess from the title, you play a gifted child (there are 12 powers listed, including: Astral Travel, Clairvoyance, and Telepathy) that has a fuzzy memory of being free. The premise of the game then becomes you and your PC friends break out of The Facility to go in search of this fleeting memory, and try to avoid recapture.
Though small at just over 80 pages, you get all the information you need to get ears deep into the world. The powers are well-defined and explained; the Facility is explained and explored very well; and there are adventure hooks, including a “pilot” adventure, where the PCs escape from the Facility and start their journey. The artwork is amazing, some of the best artwork I’ve ever seen in a RPG, and it’s full color.
What makes the system, and consequently the game, a little more interesting is the notion of threat levels. The threat level is now many successes the Pcs need to end the threat, and could be an individual or group number to reach (it could be 1 or 2 successes, or it could be 9 or 10, depending on scenario).

Interesting premise. It sounds Saturday Morning. A vague goal, various adventures avoiding or helping people and the occasional clue dropped towards the vague goal. Keeps the show going for seasons at a time! :smiley:

1 Like

Vague and broad enough to be interesting while being able to “unvague” it along the way and create a good story.

1 Like