[Minis] What are you working on?

I understand why 15mm, but my eyes cross thinking about painting them.

1 Like

There’s tricks to it although it brings home the ‘good enough’ side of my painting as they are going to be at arm’s length if I’m not talking close up pics anyways. Most people always look at the printed flags more than the figures anyways!

1 Like

Do you make your own pikes, or did these come with the minis? How do you store and transport these?

I’m working in 10mm, but the delicate nature of the pikes still intimidate me.

These were cast so they are bendy as heck and I’m not a fan honestly. Also too fiddly to cut and replace as well. But, to answer the question, you can use floral wire or the cheapest and usually durable (except for paint flaking) are bristles or straw from cheap brooms. They retain their shape and are good for 10mm or 15mm. Only thing is they do bend and the paint will chip easy or flake off rather.

You can also get a box of straight pins as they come in various sizes and chances are pikes made this way will not bend but make you bleed!

Storage I use small boxes with homemade inserts. Usually cutting up pizza boxes. I’m cheap on transport!

I did a 25mm sword of real steel. Bleed indeed.

With the broom straws or other fiber try dying them. Leather dye or concentrated RIT should do it and the color will not flake off on you. Wood stain is another option.

1 Like

You bleed metaphorically buying them anyway, what’s a token drop of real blood to seal the deal…

1 Like

I have another order to Hero Forge.

Italian Wars heats up with arquebus skirmishers and cannons! Working on Stradiots now as the cavalry are now the focus.

1 Like

Sweet! Renaissance era?

Yes, Florence and France as opposing forces. Was going to do the Papal States but a friend said I always seem drawn to the worst performing armies in history. Ding the Albizi and Zati families which were known for anti-Medici sentiments back then.

Stradiots and crossbow Argoulets completed and working on the genderames and lanca spezatta before starting the whole thing over for the next additions.

I am trying to get a ship printed. The battlemat marked plans are four feet long, and guess what? That kind of things is no longer easily done I guess. Staples is worthless, they don’t have the 40’ plotter anymore. The local FedEx store has lousy gear. My son got a map printed and it sucked.

If I had the space I’d buy a freaking 40 inch plotter.

Time to get back to I3 Detroit.

Yeah, when I was changing SPI’s Russian Civil War to accommodate scrabble sized counters I had to just go with an online printing service. Seems printing services got rid of their bigger machines.

What did you use?

Posterburner.net they came up first when I searched and did a good job. Not sure if they’re priced competitively or not I was in the same position, flustered no locals could do the job so went to google.

Thank you @TwoGunBob. I did go to the website and ended up ordering the ship. I like to share. Lets see if the fourm chokes on this: (BTW it is .com not .net.)

HelenForPrint.pdf (410.0 KB)

Therein is the whole Helen. What I call a 32 gun “adventurer” It will print to batlemat size foir d20. 5 feet to the inch. It is pretty low resolution. I do these at 30 pixels to the inch. The document is 40’x66’.

1 Like

So, I haven’t got much painting done lately - partly due to RL situations, but also because I picked up a 3D printing setup (a friend and I had talked about getting into it, he had just bought all the stuff needed before he passed away suddenly; I bought it all at full price from his widow). After a few weeks of study and various attempts, I’m getting to the point where I can fairly reliably produce useable minitaures. This is my latest batch: a gnome (stl file from Heroforge), printed in 3 sizes becuase full-size, it comes out to full human height, and I don’t know how tall the player wants the figure to be; and a gnu (wildebeest) because that gnome character (in our 13th Age campaign) can shape change into one. Still a complete noob at this, still on the learning curve, but a fun new adventure.

2 Likes

Knights at the highlight stage. All left are twelve Gendarmes and the Furioso starter set is complete! Banners and highlights to be started tomorrow.

1 Like

Banners added along with highlights. Lanca Spezzata are ready to avoid pike blocks and ride down those that flee before them.

3 Likes

French Gendarme knights, the classic heavily armored cavalry that make everyone on the battlefield opposing then quake in fear.

3 Likes