Maps and Mapping

GIMP. Old fashion bit map graphics. My maps are the result of scaning ancient paper and months of clean up. I’d post one of the raw .png images but the things ran 13-14 meg each.

GIMP and Inkscape are both free and both have versions for the Mac. Krita is another one that is free and works on the Mac – I’ve seen it recommended but haven’t really worked with it yet.

The Cartographers’ Guild is a lovely forum for people who like to make maps, with tons of examples and plenty of tutorials. It also discusses various map-making tools for online map-making, so you’ll see many more recommendations and discussions of pros/cons and how to do stuff using that particular software.

There are many sources online for free maps, textures, brushes, stamps, objects, tiles, dungeon/city generators, etc., that can enhance your map-making whether you want to start from scratch or build on someone else’s work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndmaps/ has a lot of maps, often with links to the patreon accounts of the people who post the maps (many of whom offer more free maps and mapping elements, or you can become a patreon to support the artist and have access to even more).

Somewhere I have a list of online map sources and map generators and mapping elements, though I’m not sure that’s exactly what you’re looking for.

I tend to use a mix of things. Sometimes I’ll start with a generated dungeon or base map from one source and add layers of other things. Sometimes I’ll find a pretty map or air photo (either online or scanned) and start from there. Sometimes I’ll use modular tiles. Sometimes I’ll follow a tutorial or play with brushes or whatever. With any map (or part of a map, or an item), I can move it back and forth between GIMP and Inkscape to play around with different effects, then take the map (as a jpeg or png or equivalent) to use as a layer or object in the other program.

Also, for gaming purposes, it’s useful to remember that a map is usually meant to be a semi-abstract or stylized version of reality. It doesn’t have to be perfectly realistic and gorgeous. Though I do understand the desire to make beautiful maps. It’s a lot of fun.

2 Likes

Specifically the ones from ProFantasy.

They’ve got some on their YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@ProfantasySoftware

2 Likes

An example of what GIMP can do. This is lower resolution than I use now, I have a better computer. Yes, I need to redo this set.

2 Likes

GIMP, a raster graphics editor, Krita, a raster graphics painting program, & Inskape, a vector graphics editor are all cross-platform, libre & open-source software that can be used to make maps. Rob Conley on his Bat in the Attic blog gives instructions on how he created a Fantasy Sandbox including hex maps using Inkscape. He also has links to the assets he used & to other old school style mapping textures.

If you’re looking for something purse-built & more full-featured Campaign Cartographer 3 has been offered very inexpensively multiple times in the past on Humble Bundle.

1 Like

I second the nomination for Inkarnate. It’s both easy to use and fully featured.

If you wish to use the maps, you are welcome, as long as you credit the author (me).

3 Likes

Working on a Mage’s Magnificent Mansion Spell.
CC3+; 5Kx5K (Cropped)

There are still 2 more floors.
Floor 3 has a bowling alley…

The Trace

With Labels

Battlemap

4 Likes

What Software?

CC3 stands for Campaign Cartographer 3, by Profantasy Software. Profantasy.com The plus probably indicates they are using some of the extras or plugins?

2 Likes

The + just denotes an incremntal software version, I believe. Great software, but a steep learning curve. It’s based on CAD software, so if you’re familiar with such things it might be easier than it is for me.

GIMP is a plainer tool, but the results can be good, just not scalable. Yes it starts at 7 became this is a cut down version of the map. Things like the title, and key got cut off. Scale is one pixel to five feet.

Maltarano

3 Likes

This is a bit less topic, and more freebie.

The following link is to one of my portfolio sites, Joe’s Tavern on the Ethereal Plane.
This “map” was drawn with Revit. There are lots of renderings, and at the bottom of the page are a full set of scaled floorplans available to download, something for the gaming community.
And there is a picture of Joe.

https://consult-scorpio.wixsite.com/rpgmapping/joestavern

More Freebie: Maps page at the OldI Phoenix Inn. Stuff too big to post here. Dungeons, cities, flying ships, palaces. All done in GIMP or ImageEX on the old Amiga.

1 Like

Campaign Cartographer is currently featured on Humble Bundle.

I’m cross posting this to anyplace it is appropriate. These are maps after all.
The Ship flats are finished. The ZRS Helen. Paper on plywood. Top to bottom, poop deck, main deck, earth deck, gun deck, machine deck and “in use”.

Once again shout out to @TwoGunBob, for the poster company. Without that it would not have gotten done.

https://discuss.penandpapergames.com/t/a-game-masters-work-is-never-done/1429

I’ve been really happy with Dungeon Alchemist. I know a lot of you already know about it or even backed it on Kickstarter. Still, I thought I’d share a map. Totally different level of quality (and price point…) than a simple paint program, and very speedy once you learn where the tools all live. It’s got a great integration with Hero Forge, and a bunch of VTT so I hear (I haven’t used a VTT yet).

Day and night cycles:

Campaign Cartographer is currently featured again on Humble Bundle.

My issues with Campaign Cartographer likely stem from having the lamest XP box that ever lamed. 256 meg of RAM to run XP.