Here We Used To Fly

A game originally backed on Kickstarter. I had some “financial issues” at the time and could only back at the pdf level, 1 CAD (.76 USD). It came out on dtrpg.com and I decided I wanted a physical copy. At the time of my purchase, I paid $25.59 for the premium softcover copy + pdf (same as just the softcover). As of 5/10/2023, prices show a pdf only price of $14.94, premium softcover/premium softcover + pdf of $26.15, and standard softcover/standard softcover + pdf of $22.42.
The book itself is 67 pages total, so maybe a hair pricey for page content, but I thought the subject matter was worth the price. The game is GM-less and centers around a theme park. You make 2 versions of your character: one as a child, the other as the child’s adult counterpart. Each player (assuming all are together for that particular attraction) talk about what they are doing at the attraction as kids, and once they finish the scene, they flash-forward to adults in the ruins of the theme park and then again play out the scene at that particular area. The rules suggest 3 - 5 locations to roleplay before calling it a session.
The game itself is rules-lite, as evident by the page count. To create your character, the game utilizes playbooks. There are 14, including such descriptors as: Affectionate, Angry, Distant, Frank, and Spacey. Each asks a short series of questions to help describe how each manifests as children AND adults. You are advised to “pick a couple” you like to flesh out the character.
After that, it’s a short convo about who is choosing one of the 15 attractions, and direction around the table you are going. Attractions include: The Big Coaster, Carnival Alley, Heritage Train, and The Log Ride. For each attraction, there are multiple “features,” of which said player picks 3; one set for as kids, the other set for as adults. Each also includes: tips for role-playing as kids, in case you don’t remember how to kid (and I think some of us have to some degree), as well as thoughts on how to run the adult section after the park has been abandoned. They also go into their design process. It basically asks you to work with the “human experience of time.” How we experience things as kids and how we remember those experiences as adults. It was the actual play that made me back the game, even in what limited capacity I did at the time; and it was also the actual play that made me decide to get a physical copy.

The actual play: Here We Used to Fly 🎢 || a very special INDIE RPG NIGHT w/ the Dream Team! - YouTube

This sounds like taking the collaborative story telling idea to the next level. Less game, more exercise in improv theater.

1 Like

I’ll let you watch the actual play and have you decide from there.