For those interested

https://youtu.be/ECR1N5OKUuk?si=f0GofoEK4jgJoVlN Either another big “OOPS!” from Hasbro, or an honest misnake. Interested enough to see what the video was about, but not interested enough to make the purchase when it comes out. Wouldn’t turn down a chance to play it if it popped up, but not investing cash at this point. And, yes, I know, the type don’t fall off the pages because a new release comes out. Either way, here’s an update on the not-new new edition.

Yup, the type stays on. They have not developed that technology…yet.

1 Like

WotC better get on becoming a lifestyle brand soon or they’re going to burn the building down at the rate they’re going. My first thought was cynicism, that it was a planned “mistake” to get attention, but then I remembered who it was and realized it’s probably just one more addition to the string of foul-ups they’ve made this year. I pay attention because D&D is bigger than every other rpg combined, but there’s absolutely nothing there that sounds even a little interesting. I just have no expectation that they’ll even make a decent book, and it really looks like they’re leaning hard on old material and formulaic products instead of writing something new. Not a good sign of creativity.

1 Like

I tend to agree with you. All the foul-ups, mis-steps, and backtracking they’ve done this year, this just seems par for the course. I get they’re “all about the Benjamíns”, but they are all over the chart so far. They need to get back to basics and put out material actually worth the time and money, but that isn’t likely to happen.

They have been doing that forever. Each edition rehashed the books of the last edition, change the system, print.

1 Like

My D&Dology is pretty far from expert, but from the wikipedia pages for Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Dragonlance, and Greyhawk, it looks like they were all give sparse treatment for 4e if they were touched at all. Ravenloft was brought back years ago, but Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer are only coming back now, ten years in, when WotC is trying to launch a new edition without saying they’re launching a new edition. Dark Sun’s been completely relegated and Greyhawk has a bunch of republished adventures but not a full setting book from the sound of it. I think Planescape is going to get the same treatment and the book will be pretty much limited to Sigil. I don’t know how the Eberron and Dragonlance books turned out. If I cared about any of them, I think I’d be pretty upset at WotC. Even with old settings, they’re sitting on a ton of places they could write new material for and make decent campaign locations, but that requires effort and I guess they think nostalgia should mean they don’t need to do that. 500 lb gorilla choosing a seat and all that.

1 Like