Board games close to RPGs. What are your favorites? Wanna play?

I don’t think I’ve ever played a game to the end lol. For a board game it is truly long. We had large groups playing (and drinking) so that had a lot to do with it.

2 Likes

I’ve played it about 10 times and the players really lose steam towards the end. With 3 players it goes well.

I found Talisman at a Thrift Store for cheap and bought it to experience the fun as it had been 32-33 years since I’d played. Played with my kids and their friends about three times and they said it still became tedious, just ran on way too long. It was still fun but every game became a race to just get it over with unfortunately.

I guess it’s more fun to think about playing Talisman than actually doing it. If you’re putting that much time in might as well be an RPG.

That’s exactly what they said! That by the end we could’ve been hip deep in a module!

1 Like

Playing Journeys in Middle Earth with the family right now and loving it so far (like Imperial Assault, also from Fantasy Flight Games, but with better app assisted play).

Mice and Mystics and Stuffed Fables are also big hits with the family, as is Storm Hollow (arguably more an RPG with boardgame elements, also hard to find these days I think).

Thornwatch is another that’s a tossup on being more RPG vs. boardgame, but it’s got good storylines.

Oh, and Sidekick Saga. That’s a fun little superhero game with RPG elements.

1 Like

I own Mice and Mystics. Got it as a gift and only did the first 2 scenarios. Any tips to make it more fun for the family?

I leaned heavier on the RP side of things with Mice and Mystics, allowing characters to interact outside the scripted game mechanics (though still within the overall storyline). We enjoy tactical boardgames with RPG elements in general, though, so it’s not a hard sale to the family and the all grasp the mechanics quickly. After playing through things like Legends of Drizzt and Imperial Assault, Mice and Mystics mechanics were a breeze. I do think the story picks up in the 3rd and 4th scenarios, too.

1 Like

I like your advice. I’ll try to approach it that way.
I’m encouraged about the later scenarios picking up the story.