A living City

Every once in a while someone brings up the subject of “realism” in fantasy games. It can be totally laughable like “That portrayal of Elves is totally unrealistic.” (I’ve heard this), or less dangerous to cat girls*, how many taverns can one city support?

The question of taverns per capa in London in 1700 got me a figure of 5 per 1000 population. So one for every 200 people. I dare say most of us under tavern our urban areas.

What else are you going to do? There are no movies. Theater if you have it is a daylight activity. Books are uncommon, no TV which we can count as a good thing. So where are you going to go, if you go anywhere? Down to the neighborhood pub and knock one back before going to bed before another day of brutal work.

The work on Eyrie Keep continues. As a tool I copied the city map and made all the taverns black. I can observe how they pepper the city, and where I really want the next one. I’m going to repeat this exercise with Woodmanor and Seahaven. Add a list of popular pub names and go to town.

*Every time you discuss reality in RPGs Ghodd kills a catgirl.