What have RPGs taught you?

My first thought was not that much but then I realized all the research I’ve done in prepping for games as well as software mastered. I know I lot more real world history from digging up weird events for my urban fantasy horror games. I learned to do some layout in making my own character sheets and image manipulation for game artwork or virtual tabletop icons. Its motivated me to learn more about storytelling, acting, and improv.

1 Like

Nice summation. That is where it comes from. In order to make a good game, you have to learn. Nothing wrong with learning.

Remember, Knowledge is power, power corrupts, learn, be evil.

Role playing games taught me that The Game of (Real) Life is badly designed.

1: Spawn (dis)ads are So random, that they can completely overshadow an entire career of effort.
I happened to do pretty well the one time I played it, but I saw so many others get such bad hands that I wonder why they even kept playing.

2: Similarly, random encounters often completely overshadow good play.

3: Replay value is next to nil (though I gather there is some disagreement with that assessment in Eastern markets)

4: Designer is a Dick. I hear the guy drowns puppies.

1 Like

And kitties too.

I have to say the graphics are great however. The game world is presented in amazing detail.

1 Like

Not wrong.
But I’d lik to think that, given the same amount of time and resources for development, I could produce better.

There would be more kitties. And antelopes would be house-breakable.

1 Like

Agreed on the first part. Can never have enough pussy.

But re antelope. I suspect you just aren’t trying hard enough.
(When I play “Old Kingdom”, my Egyptians routinely domesticate antelope Long before they even See a horse. Hippos, lions, & crocodiles, too)

[quote=“Worldbuildr, post:27, topic:1179, full:true”]
Agreed on the first part. Can never have enough pussy.[/quote]
:wink:

Cattle, sheep, goats (A kind of antelope) even deer. We have domesticated a great deal of Bovidae. But domestication is not the same as having them house broken. I want my Dik-dik or Tommy in the house.

But not hyenas. We have pictorial evidence of the Egyptians trying. The basic method of tie it up and feed it until it loves you did not work on those. Egyptians were hardcore, they tried to make pets of everything.

As to the OP; what has RPG taught me? It is the impetus behind most of the research and learning I have done since school. I say without irony that once I got out of school I started to learn. I am a veteran of the public school system. (Bare foot, two miles, up hill, both ways, in blizzards both winter and summer)